Saturday, May 3, 2008

South of the Thames Walk

I am getting a little tired of posting so sorry if this is abrupt. I've been working on this for a couple hours but I am almost caught up!

May 1, 2008--South of the Thames (At least, I think this was May 1, I've lost track of the days. We've done enough walking to last me four months and it's only been 4 days!!!) These pictures are not placed in any real order.


A panorama of the Thames (pronounced Tims) and the Tower Bridge.


View from of the Thames from Tower Bridge.


Another view of London, the Thames, and the Tower Bridge.


Walking along the Thames.


The Tower of London.


The Golden Hinde which was captained by Sir Francis Drake... Let me know if you need a translation. Not sure how small this will show up on the screen. It looked rather plastic to me, however.


The Golden Hinde.


The recreation of the Globe Theatre. We are going to go see A Midsummer Nights Dream there sometime in the next couple weeks.


This was underneath some sort of Museum. I thought it was really cool.


Tower of London and my first glimpse of the Thames.


Haha--I guess these are in case you get lost, you can have the Tube map on your panties!! If you look you will see a yellow line going in a circle. That is the Circle Line. The green line is the District Line, the black the Northern line (which goes up to Camden Town--I will tell you about Camden Town later). The red line going straight through is the Central line. There are several others, but I haven't been on those yet.


Outside of Southwark Cathedral.


Southwark Cathedral.


Southwark Cathedral.


Southwark Cathedral (yes, this picture was taken illegally). This is in one of the small chapels on the transept. The most disturbing part of Cathedrals and Abby's is the fact that you are walking on so many graves. Some of the 'headstones' I guess you would call them, are inscribed on stone slabs on the floor, marking where the graves are. Some of them are so old they are written in Middle English and completely unreadable. Some of the slabs have been worn away by hundreds of years of pilgrims and tourists walking on them.



A really unflattering picture of me outside of the Tower of London.


Part of the Tower of London


Tower bridge... another unflattering picture. Jess didn't tell me she was taking it and we were goofing around.


Tower bridge.


Tower bridge again. Not to be confused with London Bridge--they are two different bridges. London bridge is much uglier and far less ornamental.

Later on this day I went to do the London City walk which explores the central part of London. However, as I was getting off the Tube (I had gone by myself) a British gent said "Excuse me, miss, but did you know a pigeon pooed on your coat?" I promptly thanked him and said that no, I had no idea such had occurred. Soon thereafter it became very cold and rainy and as I had removed the offensive jacket, I went home. Unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of the mishap before I sent my coat to the cleaners. But let it be known I cursed every pigeon I saw on my way home that night!!!

No comments: