Tuesday, February 22, 2011

14-15 May 2008: Trip to Edinburgh, Scotland

I was so ecstatic to visit Edinburgh (Ed-in-bruh), mainly because I have daydreamed about Scotland since I was a little girl. My father's family is Scottish (Mercer is a lowlander Scots name) and I was thrilled to finally compare the  real landscape to the image in my head (wildly beautiful, full of heather and stormy skies, with strapping Highlander men traipsing around in tartan kilts, brawny muscles and huge claymores [in fact, I still sort of do... don't tell my husband]. Oh, and bagpipes. How could I forget the bagpipes? I imagined it like in a movie, where you would hear the pipes in the wind, like ghosts.)

Alas, it was my one great disappointment, not seeing the Highlands of Scotland.  But I digress.

Edinburgh turned out to be very much like London, except everything in Edinburgh CLOSES AT SIX except the pubs, which is obnoxious when you want to do something aside from drink. It was a beautiful city though; I loved the juxtaposition between old and new--in fact, it is even called Old and New Town (with a smattering of other names... this is in reference to only two small parts of Edinburgh). In Old Town Edinburgh much of the medieval still exists in its dark, Gothic architecture and close-knit buildings. Old Town runs from the Castle all the way down the Royal Mile (I don't know exact dimensions).  New Town  Edinburgh is more spaced out and consequentially much brighter; it originates from the 1800s. Looking at Google maps of Edinburgh, I believe it is roughly south of the castle (how on earth did I not realize Arthur's Seat is in the middle of the city? And why did I not realize we were that close to the North Sea?!) This last thing I know is due to tourism, but I loved it. It made Edinburgh Scottish and not English. It was the haunting sound of bagpipes throughout the central city. It was like the past around me--constantly there, no matter where I ventured. It was beautiful, and a little sad, and the only part of my daydream that came true. I swear the pipes must be made from the bones of Scotland herself, and as long as they are played they keep Scotland thriving and alive. 

Sarah, Jessi, Whitney, Me, Cecily at Edinburgh Castle


Sarah, Me, Whitney, Jenny in a Close (little alleyway)


A beautiful old graveyard at the Parish Church of St. Cuthbert


Edinburgh Castle


A pub close to the Hostel






Edinburgh Castle from the bottom of Granny's Green Steps


Close up of above photo


Personally, Europeans have the right of it--How often do you find names
like the above here in America?


In Old Town, you can see New Town in the Distance






The Tartan Factory~My surname, Mercer, comes from Scotland.
We were lowlander Scots, though, so I think we are under another Clan.
I found out my grandmother owns original tartan from our clan.


Princes Street Gardens


Cottage in Princes Street Gardens




Ross Fountain






The Parish Church of St. Cuthbert






Panorama from over the train station I believe.


 I don't know anything about Scottish laws, I wonder why they would tag this...
also interesting, it's in chalk. Kids maybe?
I am silly and didn't write down much while I was in England and touring the Mediterranean--some, but not much. How I regret it now! I do have my journal I bought at the Bodleian Library, but I didn't write enough information down! Next time I travel, there will be much more writing involved!

No comments: